Lanternflies came from Asia and were first found in the United States in Pennsylvania in 2014. The presence of lanternflies is one of the reasons people contact tree services near Dover, PA. Lanternflies feed on trees and can cause damage by sucking the sap from the trees. In addition, they excrete a sticky substance, which can attract other insects and create a ripe environment for mold growth.
In this article, we’re going to explore how you can prevent lanternflies from being on your property and what to do if they’re already there to better protect your trees.
Preventing Lanternflies on Your Property
Spotted lanternflies are about one inch in length. They are called “spotted” because they have about black spots on each wing. The front wings look tan and the back wings are reddish. Here are a few ways you can prevent these lanternflies:
- Keep your property clean and free of debris. Lanternflies are attracted to cluttered areas and thick brush where they can hide and lay their eggs.
- Prune your trees regularly. This will remove any potential egg sites for lanternflies.
- Check your trees regularly for signs of lanternfly damage or their buildup. If you spot anything suspicious, take action immediately to prevent further damage from occurring.
How to Get Rid of Lanternfly Nests and Lanternflies
Fall is a great time to get rid of lanternfly nests. Here’s why: Lanternflies don’t survive the winter, but their eggs do. Getting rid of the eggs results in getting rid of the lanternflies. Here are four ways you can get rid of lanternflies and lanternfly nests.
- Hand-picking: This is probably the most effective way to remove lanternflies from your property. Be sure to wear gloves when doing this, as their residue can be irritating.
- Pesticides: Several pesticides are effective against lanternflies. Be sure to follow the instructions on the label carefully to avoid harming your trees or other plants.
- Insecticidal soap: This can be used to kill lanternflies on contact. Be sure to apply it in the evening when the temperatures are cooler to avoid harming your plants.
Contact Lewis Burns Tree Service
If you want a professional to deal with lanternflies, look no further. As a tree removal company in York, PA, we know how to get rid of pesky lanternflies and take care of the trees that have been affected by them. We’ve been in business for over 50 years, since 1968. And we’ve been providing quality service since the beginning. Head over to our contact page or call us at 717-891-7926 to learn more.